Contact Eagle Lake Sportsmen's Lodge

If you have any questions, please contact us by phone or email, and we'll be glad to assist you in any way we can to plan your Canadian visit. Passport info can be found on our Border Crossing Info page, or at

Eagle Lake Sportsmen's Lodge

P.O. Box 82
Vermilion Bay, ON, P0V 2V0
Phone: (807) 227-5318
Fax: (807) 227-8029

Take the most convenient route to International Falls, MN, and cross the border into Fort Frances, Ontario. Travel 19 miles East on Highway 11 until you reach Highway 502. Follow Highway 502 to Dryden. Do not turn left at the end of Highway 502! Once in Dryden travel 30 miles West via Highway 17 to Hanslips Road. We are located 1 mile South off of Highway 17.

Border Crossing Information

Canada is so close, sometimes folks forget it's another country with it's own set of rules and regulations. Take a moment and read through this page before you leave for your visit to Canada. Contact Canada Customs, (800) 461-9999, or Eagle Lake Sportsmen's Lodge, if you need more information.

Crossing into Canada with firearms? You'll need to check out the Firearms Declarations Forms at the Canada Firearms Centre. From the home page, click on "Fact Sheets", then under "General Audiences" select "Firearms Users Visiting Canada" to find out what to do with your firearms. One can also call them at 1-800-731-4000.

Short on time? One can use this link as well to get there a bit quicker. If you plan on hunting in Canada over a period of consecutive years, consider getting a PAL (Possession and Acquisition License - Option 2) to save money. Make sure that you apply well ahead of time before heading to Canada for your trip as there are several steps involved.

Beginning in 2008, the rules for re-entry into the United States will be changing. Please read the paragraphs below carefully, and visit the US State Department website for information well in advance of your planned vacation for the latest information. You may also want to visit this site for easy-to-understand, straight-forward information about traveling to and from Ontario, Canada -

    Citizens or legal, permanent residents of the United States do not require passports or visas and can usually cross the U.S.-Canada border without difficulty or delay. To assist officers in expediting the process, especially to re-enter the United States native-born citizens should carry a birth, baptismal, or voter’s certificate. Proof of residence may also be required. Naturalized U.S. citizens should carry a naturalization certificate or other evidence of citizenship. Legal, permanent residents of the United States who are not U.S. citizens are advised to carry their Alien Reg. Receipt Card (U.S. Form 1-151 or Form 1-551). Persons under 18 years of age who are not accompanied by an adult should bring a letter from a parent or guardian giving them permission to enter Canada.

    The entry of vehicles and vacation trailers into Canada for touring purposes is generally a quick and routine matter. Customs permits, if required, are issued at the time of entry. Rental vehicles or trailers are also admissible, however the vehicle registration forms should be carried together with a copy of the rental agency forms. Visitors entering Canada with vehicles not registered to themselves should carry a letter from the owner indicating authorized use of the vehicle. Note: Guidelines for entry by private aircraft or boats are also available from Tourism Canada.

    Visitors may bring personal baggage into Canada duty-and tax-free, provided all such items are declared to Canadian Customs on arrival and are not subject to restriction. Personal baggage may include such items as fishing tackle, boats, motors, snowmobiles, camping, golf, tennis and scuba diving gear, radios, television sets, cameras and other similar items to be used in Canada during the visit. Alcoholic beverages may be brought into Canada duty-free if visitors meet the minimum age requirement of the province or territory of entry (19 years in British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Yukon and Saskatchewan; 18 years in Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec). The amount cannot exceed 1.1 liters (40 ounces) of liquors or wine, or 24 x 355 ml (12 ounce) cans or bottles of beer, ale or their equivalent. Additional quantities of alcoholic beverages, up to a maximum of nine liters (two gallons) may be imported into Canada, except Northwest Territories), upon payment of duty and taxes plus provincial fees at the port of entry. Persons 18 years of age in most jurisdictions, but 19 years in Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario and British Columbia, may import 50 cigars, 200 cigarettes, and 2 lbs. of manufactured tobacco duty free. Federal duty and taxes apply to additional quantities. Subject to some restrictions, visitor may bring food with them for their own use, without Customs assessment, provided the quantity is consistent with the duration and nature of the visitor’s stay. Gasoline and oil brought into Canada for consumption is dutiable. Reasonable quantities for tourist use such as gas and oil used to the normal capacity of the vehicle are granted free entry.

    All animals, plants, vegetables, fruit and meat (and any product of these) must be declared to Canadian Customs upon entry to the country and accompanied by import documentation when required and must pass inspection.

    Domestic dogs and cats may be brought into Canada provided each animal is accompanied by a licensed veterinarian certificate identifying the animal and certifying the dog or cat has been vaccinated against rabies during the preceding 36 month period. Up to two puppies or kittens under three months of age and dogs for the visually impaired may enter with their owners without certification. Further information is available on other animals.

    Handguns are not allowed entry into Canada. Firearms are divided into the following three categories: · Prohibited firearms are those that are capable of firing bullets in rapid succession during one pressure of the trigger and any that have been adapted from a fife or shotgun so that its barrel measures less than 18 inches or is less then 26 inches overall in length. Restricted firearms include any designed or intended to be fired by one hand, any with a barrel less than 18.5 inches capable of firing center-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner and any that can be fired when reduced to a length less then 26 inches by folding or telescoping. Tourists cannot import restricted weapons. Long guns (regular rifles and shotguns) may be imported without permit by visitors over 16 years old. All visitors must declare all firearms to Canadian Customs. Most provinces and territories have regulations concerning the transportation of firearms. Visitors should check with the province they will be traveling in or through. Please read this area as well. For more information on firearms in Canada, please follow this link to the Canada Firearms Centre.

    Firearms in National Parks - Hunting is prohibited in Canada’s national parks. Firearms cannot be carried in national parks unless unloaded and carried in a dismantled condition by separating the barrel and stock or are in a closed case, tied securely with no parts exposed.

    200 rounds of ammunition for hunting purposes can be imported duty free.

    Hunting is governed by federal, provincial, and territorial laws. Non-residents are required to obtain a hunting license from each province or territory in which they plan to hunt. When hunting migratory game birds, a federal migratory game bird hunting permit is also required. This permit is available at most Canadian post offices. In many of Canada’s provincial parks, reserves, and adjacent areas, the entry of any type of weapon is forbidden. Further regulations can be obtained from each province. In the Northwest Territories, export permits are required to take out all unprocessed wildlife. Fishing is also governed by federal, provincial and territorial laws. Anglers must possess non-resident licenses for the provinces or territories in which they plan to fish. British Columbia also requires tidal waters sport fishing licenses. Special fishing permits are required to fish in all national parks. These permits can be obtained at any national park for a nominal fee and are valid in all national parks across Canada. No permit is required to import fishing tackle for personal use. Foreign fishing guides are not permitted to work in Canada without an employment authorization card.

    The possession and use of radar detection services are illegal in Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Yukon. It is suggested these units be rendered inoperative and placed inside luggage when visitors are traveling through Canada. In Quebec and Ontario, it is illegal to possess these types of devices.

    It is the responsibility of travelers to satisfy U.S. customs authorities of their rights to re-enter the United States, through some form of identification. Re-entry can be simplified if travelers keep a list of all purchases, have sales receipts and invoices handy, and pack purchases separately for inspection.

    Legislation passed in 2004 (The US Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004) requires that beginning June 1st, 2009 all travelers are required to show a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document to re-enter the United States.

    STARTING June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative). The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

    For the latest information, please visit the US State Department website here. For those of you who visit us from the US every year, we would strongly recommend getting a passport or passport card.

    Canadian postal stamps may be used on all mail posted in Canada. Postage stamps can be purchased at post offices and automatic vending machines.

    Provincial and territorial highway maps may be obtained from tourist information offices. Also see our "Links" page for a link to the "...Atlas of Canada" website. Maps and charts are also available from:

    Canada Map Office